This major develops foundational knowledge and expertise in processing, analyzing, modeling, and implementing software solutions for large data sets. Majors apply computing and modeling to multidisciplinary problems and develop professional skills in teamwork and problem solving in interdisciplinary settings and domains.
Academics + Experience = Opportunities
Complement academic preparation with experiential learning, creating more opportunities after graduation. Talk to an academic advisor and a career coach about making the most of your time at Nebraska.
Transferrable Career Skills
- Expertise in the analysis of large-scale data sources from the interdisciplinary perspectives of applied computer science, data modeling, mathematics, and statistics
- Expertise in the application of computing, informatics, and modeling to solve multidisciplinary problems
- Solving multidisciplinary data science problems as a member of an interdisciplinary team
- Familiarity with ethical challenges in data science, including ethical collection of data, responsible use of data, and algorithmic bias
Experience is valuable and goes beyond the classroom. We strive to help you connect your academics with research, internships, education abroad, service learning and leadership experiences in data science, such as:
Research and Academic Opportunities
Your skills in processing, analyzing, modeling, and implementing software solutions for large data sets and solving multidisciplinary problems in interdisciplinary settings will be extremely valuable to a variety of professions. Data science careers are some of the most in-demand across the country and have some of the highest job satisfaction rates.
Examples of Local and Regional Careers
- Data Engineer, Hudl
- GIS Web Developer/Analyst, The North Jackson Company
- Statistical Analyst, Experian
- Data and Research Analyst, Mercer
- Business Analyst, Sandhills Publishing
- Programmer/Analyst, Centrix Solutions
“'Data scientist' typically describes a knowledge worker who is principally occupied with analyzing complex and massive data resources. However, data science spans a broader array of activities that involve applying principles for data collection, storage, integration, analysis, inference, communication, and ethics...[A]ll undergraduates will benefit from a fundamental awareness of and competence in data science.”
National Academy of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
Examples of MATH Courses
Data Science at Nebraska
Data science is a science major in the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS). Our liberal arts degrees provide a broad education across the sciences, social sciences, and humanities, preparing students for a variety of careers.
Let curiosity move you.